Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How to lose a car in 7 months

How to lose a car in 7 months. It sounds like a catchy title, but really, in Southern California, is it possible? Just a second while I consult the Magic 8-Ball..."Signs Point to Yes." The prophet has spoken and it so it is, for the first time since age 15 (I'm from Michigan, a state formerly known for its cars) I am NOT the proud owner of a shiny automobile.

Some of my first words in this blog back in March noted my burka-like anxiety about using public transportation. During the five subsequent blog postings I began my metamorphosis. Months went by without a single posting from me. Cocooned by my 30 minute bus rides or 45 minute bike rides to and from work the time passed, the Honda Element sat in the driveway, and I became more confident in my ability to survive sans four wheels and a combustion engine. Then it happened. Without much pain on a Wednesday I shed my all-wheel drive, sports utility, toaster-shaped vehicle, and became someone who doesn't own a car.

There was no fanfare other than a flutter in my chest. And rather than a series of atta girl pats on the back, my new car-less existence has been met by raised eyebrows and whispers. What's next? Probably something about those raised eyebrows and whispers, which I think might take longer to lose than 7 months.

No comments: