Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day One: Determination Equals Relaxation

Today, of all days, was NOT the day to wonder about the origin and purpose of that awful noise blaring near my right ear at 6 a.m. At the time of said blaring I was pleased and possibly proud of my efforts in making it stop. Needless to say, I was in a deep sleep when I was supposed to be packing my bag lunch and preparing for the bike ride to the bus stop.

Never fear, wash-and-wear Ceal bounded into action at 7:30 a.m. and was out the door and racing the 2.6 miles to the bus stop in the Honda at 7:50 a.m. with a sack lunch in hand. I was determined to not screw up on day one.

The bus was full of all of one other rider this morning. I sipped my coffee--yes I had time to make coffee before leaving--and zoned for a whole 25 minutes on my first ride to Cal State Channel Islands from Oxnard. I did nothing and it was everything I thought it could be. Granted it is spring break and I'm sure the number of people riding the bus is impacted the break, it really was a pleasant experience. And yes, I was surprised.

This wasn't one of my original reasons for riding the bus, but it has pressed its way into my top 10 without a second thought: relaxation. Had I driven to work after such a boneheaded move of viciously taming the bedside noise and waking up a full hour and a half late it would have been the prelude to an awful day. Instead I got to sip coffee and put things into perspective for 25 minutes. My time. I like it.

I'm going to do it again tomorrow, but this time without the mad rush and with a nice bike ride to the bus stop. Relaxation, who knew?

2 comments:

Dave said...

I admire you and your determination as much as Rosa Parks for riding the bus.

Beth Bellor said...

See, now you can drop that scary "reading while driving" habit. Wish I had a bus I could take to work (no, really).